- Making Tea with Children Helps Teach Values
- Beautiful Harmony
- Memories of Cherry Blossoms
- Japanese Festival of Dolls (Hina-Matsuri)
- Keeping Warm in Winter the Japanese Way
- A hot summer day in Miyazaki
- Gentle rains of early May
- What is the best season to visit Japan?
- Reflections and Hopes
- Easy Recipe for Japanese Rice with Mushrooms (Kinoko-Gohan)
- Mountains, Sacred Myths, and Respect for Nature
- The Humble Rice Paddy Holds Secrets of Japan’s Soul
- A Bold, Beautiful Lady
- Place Where There Are No Strangers
- Reflections and Hopes
- How to Take a Japanese Style Bath at Home
- Flower From Another World
- Pearl Powder for Skin Care: Facts, Benefits and How to Use
- Traditional Japanese Beauty Tips
- Green Tea Over Rice (Ochazuke) Recipe Ideas
- Japanese Green and Herbal Teas
- Irises, Yomogi and Traditions of May
- The Legend of Satsue Mito
- Kumquat Preserve with Kudzu Syrup
- A Moment of Serenity in Midst of Busy Affairs
- Roasted Petite Black Soybean Tea Cake
- Traditions and New Year Wishes
- Winter is Half Over!
- Crustless Japanese Pumpkin Pie
- When Myth Becomes Reality
- Japanese Autumn
- Baked Autumn Salmon (Aki-Sake) Recipe
- The Beauty in Odd Table Settings
- Know Your Japanese Mushrooms
- Rice Harvest Season in Miyazaki
- Sun Protection the Japanese Way
- Iced Shiso Juice on a Hot Summer Day
- A Blanket of Health
- Still Modern After 1200 Years
- Happy 95th Birthday, Grandma!
Category Archives: Recipes, Diet & Cuisine
Kinoko-gohan (きのこご飯) is one of my autumn favorites. I have used a frying pan with a lid to cook the rice, since I often get asked for Japanese recipes from friends who don’t have a Japanese rice cooker.
My basic … Read the rest
Ochazuke is a quick-to-prepare traditional Japanese dish made by pouring green tea over cooked rice and topping it with a sprinkle of savories. It has been around in one form or another since at least the 8th-century Heian era.
The … Read the rest
Here is a recipe for making a delightful preserve using whole Kumquats and a delicious Kudzu syrup.
As an added benefit, they both are used in traditional medicine to soothe coughs, sore throats and common colds.
Kumquats are … Read the rest
Here is a recipe for a quick and easy cake using wholesome petite black soybeans and pancake mix.
For the batter, I use whole-wheat pancake mix. … Read the rest
Here is a low-calorie, gluten-free recipe for an alternative to western pumpkin pie using Kabocha (“Japanese pumpkin”, available in most supermarkets) and Kudzu root powder (instead of flour).
Serve as is, or sprinkle with your favorite toppings such as roasted … Read the rest