This recipe is for making 3.5 cups of concentrate, yielding 48 cups of iced shiso juice.
You can store the concentrate it in the refrigerator, or keep it in the freezer. To serve, dilute with water (10:1).
Hint: You can dilute the concentrate with sparkling water (or soda water) and serve it instead of soft drinks.
Ready In: 15 Minutes
Recipe Makes: 48 cups of iced-shiso juice (3/4 juice, 1/4 ice)
You will be using whole-dried leaves. It’s a lot easier and faster, since there is no washing, cleaning or segregating the leaves.
- 50 grams whole-dried red shiso (Akajiso) leaves
- 1 cup sugar (adjust to taste)
- 4 cups water
- 1 juiced lemon (or 3 tbsp lemon juice)
How to Prepare
- Bring 4 cups of water to boil.
- Add the shiso leaves. Turn heat down and simmer for 5 min.
- Strain through a sieve into another pot. Press leaves a bit to get more goodness.
- Add sugar. Mix well to dissolve. Simmer on low heat for 5 min.
- Turn heat off. Add lemon juice. The color will turn to vibrant red as you mix!
- Let mixture cool down. Store in the refrigerator or freezer.
How to Serve
Dilute the concentrate 10:1 with water (or sparkling water). Serve over ice.