Ready In: 10 Minutes Recipe Makes: 2 cups
Stop by any Starbucks in Japan, and you will see “Hojicha Latte” on the menu.
Hojicha latte is a highly flavorful, umami-rich roasted green tea latte concoction with very low caffeine, and a good choice even as a soothing nightcap before going to bed.
- 1 tablespoon loose leaf hojicha
- 2 cups milk. Substitute soy milk if preferred
- Brown sugar or honey to taste
- Heat milk to a simmer. Don’t boil.
- Add hojicha to the simmering milk.
- Turn heat down, and let mixture brew for 2-3 minutes on low heat.
- Strain, and serve.
Try your hojicha latte without sweetening to fully appreciate its distinctive character. Hojicha’s roasty, nutty flavor is best unsweetened.