Ready In: 10 Minutes
Recipe Makes: 2 cups (240 ml or 8 oz each)
Hojicha is a highly flavorful, umami-rich roasted green tea. Stop by any Starbucks in Japan, and you will see “Hojicha Latte” on the menu.
- 1 rounded tablespoon loose leaf organic Hojicha (about 5 grams)
- 2 cups milk. Substitute soy milk if preferred.
- Brown sugar or honey to taste.
Hint: Hojicha’s roasty, nutty flavor comes off best when unsweetened. Try your Hojicha latte without sweetening to appreciate it’s distinctive character.
- In a small pot, heat milk to a simmer. Don’t boil.
- Add the Hojicha to the simmering milk.
- Turn heat down, and let mixture brew for 2-3 minutes on low heat.
- Strain, and serve.