Refreshing Red Shiso Juice Recipe
Posted by Yoshi Kai on 20th Jul 2022
Shiso is an aromatic member of the mint family of herbs. With a vibrant, reddish-purple color and a refreshing taste, red shiso juice is an easy-to-prepare Japanese summer drink made from whole-dried red perilla leaves (Japanese Akajiso). You will love its unique flavor reminiscing mint and cinnamon with a hint of cloves.
Red shiso leaves are an essential part of Japanese and Chinese traditional medicine. Their benefits include reducing stress and anti-inflammatory, antitumor, and antiallergic properties.
Shiso leaves are rich in vitamin A, iron, and potassium and contain significantly more beta-carotene than carrots. They also have potent antioxidant polyphenols, including Anthocyanin and Rosmarinic acid.
This recipe is for making 4 cups of concentrate syrup.
- One pack (50 grams) of whole-dried red shiso leaves
- One cup sugar (adjust to taste)
- Four cups of water
- Three tablespoons of lemon juice (or apple cider vinegar)
How to Prepare
- Bring the water to a boil.
- Add the shiso leaves. Turn the heat down and simmer for 5 min.
- Strain through a sieve into another pot.
- Add sugar. Mix well to dissolve. Simmer on low heat for 5 min.
- Turn the heat off. Add lemon juice. The color will turn to vibrant red as you mix.
- Let the mixture cool down.
Dilute with regular, sparkling, or soda water to taste and serve over ice.
Store the unused syrup in the refrigerator, or keep it in the freezer.