This traditional Japanese tea helps rid your body of harmful toxins and fight infectious ailments.
❤ Activates body's detox pathways
❤ Fights viral and bacterial infections
❤ Boosts stamina and endurance
❤ Improves cognitive health
The Japanese consider dokudami a cure-all plant and affectionately call it jūyaku, meaning "ten medicines."
Its antibacterial, antiviral, and anti-fungal benefits are subjects of intense scientific interest. See references below.
Easy to prepare. Serve hot, cold or over ice. Instruction below.
Wild-Harvested • All-Natural
Pesticide-free. Freshly-picked sun-dried leaves, uncrushed for optimal quality.
Dokudami is a Japanese native flowering plant with beautiful heart-shaped leaves and lovely white flowers. Its scientific name is Houttuynia cordata, also known as Heartleaf.
The word dokudami translates to "poison-block" in Japanese, signifying its detox properties.
Dokudami leaves are listed in the Pharmacopoeia of Japan (Nippon Yakkyoku-hō), the official record of approved herbal remedies published by the Japanese government since 1886.
How to Brew
Quick Brew Method
The following instructions are for making 4 cups (800 ml total.)
- Add 5 grams (2 heaping tablespoons) of dokudami leaves to a pot.
- Add 4 cups of near-boiling water.
- Brew for about 3 minutes.
- Strain and serve hot, cold or over ice.
Senjiru Brew Method
Senjiru is a traditional Japanese technique for yielding a deeper infusion.
- Pour a little more than 4 cups of cold water into a pot.
- Add 2 heaping tablespoons of dokudami leaves.
- Heat to a full, rolling boil.
- Turn heat down and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Turn heat off and wait for 10 minutes.
- Strain and serve.
- Virucidal effects of the steam distillate from Houttuynia cordata and its components on HSV-1, influenza virus, and HIV -- Planta Medica. 1995 Jun; 61(3):237-41.
- Antioxidative effects of polyphenols in leaves of Houttuynia cordata -- Journal of Medicinal Food. July 2005, 8(2): 266-268.
- Biological and antibacterial activities of the natural herb Houttuynia cordata water extract -- Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin. Vol. 31 (2008) No. 11 P 2012-2017
- Immunomodulatory and anti-SARS activities of Houttuynia cordata -- International Society for Ethnopharmacology. 2008 Jun 19;118(1):79-85
- Anti-Herpes Simplex Virus Activity of Bidens pilosa and Houttuynia cordata -- American Journal of Chinese Medicine. Volume 31, Issue 03, 2003
- Water Extract of Houttuynia cordata Thunb. Leaves Exerts Anti-Obesity Effects by Inhibiting Fatty Acid and Glycerol Absorption -- Journal of Nutritional Science and Vitaminology. Vol. 56 (2010) No. 2 P 150-156
- Houttuynia cordata Improves Cognitive Deficits in Cholinergic Dysfunction Alzheimer's Disease-Like Models -- Biomolecules & Therapeutics. 2014 May; 22(3):176-83.
- Nicotine detoxification of rutin, quercitrin, and chlorogenic acid isolated from Houttuynia cordata -- Journal of the Korean Society for Applied Biological Chemistry. August 2014, V 57, Issue 4, pp 503-509
- Houttuynia cordata Extract Improves Physical Endurance Performance by Regulating Endothelial Production of Nitric Oxide -- Journal of Medicinal Food. Volume: 8 Issue 2: July 20, 2005
7 Reviews Hide Reviews Show Reviews
This is my first time trying dokudami tea. It's savory and soothing. Not bitter at all. Im so happy with the taste.
Good taste. I use one teaspoon for 1 liter and I drink each day with pleasure. I ll order again surely!
We love using it as a base with mint or another herbal tea! Our tummies/bodies love it.
i have enjoyed drinking it thru the day at work very refreshing cold in this sumer heat
I bought this as soon as my newsletter arrived in my inbox. My mother used to live in Miyazaki and was pleasantly surprised to see that I bought this for my Spring detoxification. She gladly dusted off her teapot and started brewing this tea for me each morning. I finally finished my last dosage and am moving onto the other tea (kuromame) that was also in the newsletter. Fresh product and deep earthy taste. What I like about it is the detoxification properties. Thanks!
Love this stuff, I drink this and the yomogi tea, this works great as a detox for my system, I always feel somewhat better after drinking it.. Love that there are so many herbs in it = many benefits. ;)
Fast postage, good communication, extra good service. Very good!