How to Make Matcha Latte at Home: Alternative to morning coffee
Posted by Yoshi Kai on 18th Aug 2022
You can swap your morning coffee with a refreshing cup of umami-rich matcha latte. It is easy to prepare at home, and you do not need special tools.
Matcha is powdered green tea. The health benefits of matcha far exceed those of any other type of green tea. When you drink matcha, you ingest the whole tea leaf, not just the brewed water.
A cup of matcha contains about one-third to one-half caffeine compared to a cup of coffee. However, unlike coffee, our body absorbs the caffeine in matcha very slowly, giving a long and sustained energy boost rather than a quick spike.
Ready In: 10 minutes Recipe Makes: 1 cup
- 1 teaspoon matcha powder
- 1 cup of unsweetened, plain soy milk (or milk if you prefer dairy)
- Sugar, brown sugar or honey to taste
- Sift the matcha powder into a mug cup using a fine-mesh tea strainer.
- Add sugar to taste. If you wish to use honey instead, do it after adding the soy milk (or milk) in the steps below.
- Warm up the soy milk.
- Add a small portion of warm soy milk to the mug. Using a tea whisk (bamboo whisk), whisk the mixture in a quick “M” or “W” shaped motion till matcha dissolves entirely, and all the lumps are gone. If you don’t have a tea whisk, use a small spatula or a fork and whisk/stir briskly.
- Add the remaining soy milk and mix well. If you wish to add honey instead of sugar, do it after you mix in all the milk.